The solar energy sector around the world is constantly experiencing significant growth due to the support provided by the world government for the adoption of solar-equipped devices. The solar-powered EV (electric vehicles) charging stations are constantly evolving to reduce carbon emissions, promote the use of electric vehicles, and encourage the adoption of clean and green energy solutions. The demand for EV charging stations is estimated to rise quickly in the coming years since users are constantly and highly preferring EVs.
Let’s dig deep into the rise of solar EV charging stations and their role in the future of transportation.
What is a solar EV charging station?
Solar EV charging stations include the use of solar panels that transform the sun’s energy into electricity for charging electric vehicle batteries. Just like solar micro grid installation, professionally trained experts are needed for the installation of photovoltaic panels or solar panels.
When an electric vehicle is plugged into the solar EV charging station, the stored solar power is utilized to charge the battery of the electric vehicle. How much electricity is produced by photovoltaic cells and stored in batteries relies on the solar panel size, availability of sunlight, and battery capacity.
Solar energy in the transportation industry
Solar electric vehicle charging stations allow EV drivers to charge their vehicles using a local panel grid. This is a unique, affordable, low-maintenance, and fast alternative to grid-tied charging infrastructure. Solar EV charging stations have a bright future as the use of sustainable solar energy reduces greenhouse gas emissions in the transportation sector.
Standalone EV charging stations and residential-level PV arrays have noticed an exponential rise in their implementation in the past 10 years. With regular professional solar EV charging station maintenance, an EV charging station can efficiently work for up to 15 years. You can get their installation in remote regions where grid power is unavailable. Thus, you can commute long distances without stressing about a shortage of battery charging.
Applications of solar power in the transportation sector
Solar energy is used for numerous applications in the transportation industry. Charging electric buses and trains is the common application. Contrary to traditional fossil fuel-powered cars, solar-fueled trains and buses significantly reduce dangerous greenhouse gas emissions.
Solar-powered EV charging stations are used for charging terminals, powering electric cars, and charging vehicle ACs (air conditioners) and illumination. Solar EV charging stations have an automatic lighting system that turns on automatically for providing power. The light sensor is completely adapted to discover the presence of sunlight.
Benefits of solar-powered electric trains
Compared to conventional diesel-powered trains, electric trains using solar energy provide multiple benefits –
- Railroads using solar power can decrease the dependence on outside energy sources. Increased energy freedom is beneficial for the railroad business as well as the regions they service.
- Since solar electric trains run using solar power which is a viable and clean source of energy, it helps in reducing the reliance on fossil fuels which cause pollution during their energy production and use. Electric trains powered by solar power remain an extremely ecologically responsible option.
- As discussed, solar-fueled electric trains are an eco-friendly option, they emit no pollution. They help in reducing carbon emissions as well as air pollution, thereby creating a healthy and safe environment.
Benefits of solar-fueled electric buses
The key application of solar electric vehicle charging stations is seen in solar-powered electric buses for energy efficiency. These types of buses offer many advantages over conventional gasoline or diesel-powered buses.
- The major advantage of solar-fueled electric buses is quite obvious i.e. reduce carbon footprints when in use, thereby cutting down the carbon impact of public transportation. By decreasing the possibility of harmful greenhouse gas emissions and improving air quality, you contribute to overcome the impact of climatic changes.
- Solar-fueled electric buses provide energy-efficient solutions by using power produced by the sun to run electric engines. On the contrary, gasoline or diesel-powered buses waste power during combustion in the form of heat.
- The major impact of switching to solar-powered electric buses is observed in terms of great cost savings. Since these types of buses use sunlight, which is a natural source of energy, their fuel cost is much cheaper than conventional buses that rely on costly fossil fuels like diesel or gasoline. The reduced operating cost for public transportation network help in saving a good amount for drivers as well as passengers.
Solar EV charging stations use in passenger cars
Passenger cars are an important aspect of the solar-fueled electric vehicle charging stations sector. EV charging stations using solar energy are constantly gaining increased attention among passenger car owners for charging their electric cars. According to IEA (International Energy Agency), passenger cars are responsible for about 15% of global carbon dioxide emissions and 40% of worldwide oil demand. Switching to solar EV charging stations significantly decreases the environmental impact of transportation.
Getting a green tariff is great for home and public charging where solar panel installation is not feasible. The transition from fossil fuels power generation to renewable and clean solar energy is turning the grid greener. Getting the green tariffs help in enjoying awesome incentive. Be sure that you are using solar power efficiently with no waste of energy.
In the end, solar electric vehicle charging stations are important for the future of energy and transportation. It provides potential for renewable energy integration, convenience, and cost-effectiveness. To help people realize the significance of EV charging infrastructure, a vast network of these charging stations is created throughout the nation. Even the nation is likely to have approximately 10,000 public charging stations by 2025. Around 20.5 lakh charging stations would require by the end of 2030.
By 2025, the EV market share in India is estimated to rise to over 6%. Here, the three-wheeler segment is gaining the highest share (4%), followed by passenger vehicles (1.3%), and two-wheelers (3.5%). At present, India is the third-largest EV market in the world. Let’s bring it to the #1 position by shifting to green solar energy for transportation.